Greetings BYOBottle Partners!
BYOBottle partners celebrate Plastic Free July each year, shining the spotlight on success stories and music industry efforts to turn the tide on plastic pollution. From venues & festivals, to artists, fans and industry partners, we are taking collective action to promote innovation and reuse. You can take the Plastic Free July Challenge, find an event near you, or explore the Changemakers Toolkit. As a BYOBottle partner, we encourage you to spread the word about Plastic Free July and share how you are taking action to reduce plastic waste, whether at a show or in your daily life. Please enjoy these partner updates and BYBottle highlights!
➤ BYOBottle – Highlights:
- BYOBottle artists, The Lumineers and their fans avoided 52,000+ single-use plastic water bottles on tour with help from greening partner REVERB. Water refill stations were provided at shows, reusable bottles & mugs were given to band and crew, and fans could donate for reusable bottles. Advance calls with promoters led to 92% of venues allowing fans to bring reusable bottles.
- BYOBottle partners continue to raise awareness and inspire action. Upstream, with help from r.Cup, organized a “Single-use to Reuse” Earth Day event in partnership with the the White House and EPA. In June, UNEP hosted World Environment Day, with the 2023 theme focused on Solutions to Plastic Pollution. BYOBottle celebrated World Ocean Day and helped spread the word about World Refill Day and the Global Reuse Summit, hosted by City to Sea. Upstream hosted The Reusies awards to honor reuse innovators working to develop a better way than throw-away…congrats to the winners!
- Live Nation has rolled out the TURN reusable cup program at 100% of their venues in Atlanta, in addition to the Ascend Amphitheater in Nashville, and will be expanding to additional Live Nation festivals this year. Check out this new The Story of Stuff Project Solving Plastic video – The Reusable Cups Helping Concerts, Festivals and Sports Events Reduce Waste. r.World continues a partnership with AEG/Goldenvoice, NIVA and others, bringing reuse to venues and festivals across Los Angeles.
- Welcome new BYOBottle Partners Eden Sessions and SunFest! SunFest provided water refill stations backstage for artists and throughout the festival for fans. As part of a #refillnotlandfill effort, Eden Sessions offers a reusable cup program for concertgoers. Cali Vibes, also a new BYOBottle festival, teamed up with r.Cup to successfully divert 100K+ single-use cups from landfills.
- BYOBottle Non-Profit Partner REVERB has been busy on the road working with BYOBottle Artists Dead & Company, Dave Matthews Band, Guster and Phish to reduce single-use plastics backstage and promote BYOBottle and #RockNRefill. REVERB worked with the Billie Eilish tour to eliminate single-use plastic backstage and on tour buses, avoiding 114,000 single-use plastic water bottles through sustainability efforts. Plastic Pollution Coalition launched Flip the Script on Plastics to help the entertainment industry model real solutions to plastic pollution, both on set and in storylines. Support the effort by signing the Flip the Script pledge. You can also explore the PPC Resource Library and tune-in to their webinar series to learn more.
➤ BYOBottle Suggested Post:
Sample Social Media Post: Share a photo showing how you reduce plastic waste.
As a @BYOBottle Partner, we are rocking reusables in @PlasticFreeJuly to support the music industry effort to turn the tide on plastic pollution. #BYOBottle #PlasticFreeJuly
*Invite BYOBottle as a collaborator on your post!
➤ BYOBottle Features:
💧Featured Action: Support a Global Plastics Treaty
💧Featured Venue Sustainability: Eden Project/Eden Sessions
💧Featured Resource: Future Festival Tools
💧Featured Event: Plastic Free July
💧Featured Tour Impact Report: The Lumineers: Brightside World Tour
💧Featured Guide: Music Sustainability Association Resource Guide