BYOBottle Partners: Plastic Pollution Coalitionʻs #RefillRevolution at Bonnaroo (photo: Brandise Danesewich),
Zach Gill (photo: Nikki Michail), Jade Imagine, HydroFlask & Ohana Festival, Vapur, Rob Machado Foundationʻs Water Refill Stations at BeachLife Festival, Max Wattʻs House of Music, REVERB #RockNRefill at Cali Roots, Steelys Drinkware
Greetings BYOBottle Partners!
Join fellow BYOBottle partners and millions of people around the world in reducing plastic waste this Plastic Free July! It’s a great time to share your BYOBottle commitment to rock reusable water bottles and help the music industry turn the tide on plastic pollution. Plastic Free July is full of ideas and inspiration to reduce single-use plastic and help shape reusable habits, throughout the month of July and beyond!
As festivals announce line-ups and concerts roll out in the coming months, it’s important we focus on supporting an equitable and sustainable music industry for everyone. BYOBottle will continue to serve as a resource to promote engagement campaigns, partner innovations, and best practices for the safe use of reusables and water refill stations at live events. Please enjoy these BYOBottle resources and highlights!
➤ BYOBottle – Highlights:
- On Earth Day, Live Nation announced a new Green Nation Touring Program to help artists adopt sustainable practices that prioritize people and planet. Live Nation just completed a global sustainability study, in which 82% of music goers strive to maintain an environmentally sustainable lifestyle. A key element will be providing concertgoers with sustainable options at shows. Green Nation has enlisted BYOBottle Non-Profit Partner Julie’s Bicycle to collaborate on new tools and a green tour certification.
- June was a busy month for celebrating and taking action for the environment! BYOBottle Non-Profit Partner UNEP hosted a virtual concert in honor of World Environment Day including BYOBottle artists Ben Harper, Dave Matthews, and Jack Johnson. On June 8th, we celebrated World Ocean Day with BYOBottle Non-Profit Partners The Ocean Project and Oceanic Global, and on June 16th BYOBottle promoted World Refill Day to reduce plastic waste.
- BYOBottle festivals are renewing their commitment to reduce plastic waste by offering water refill stations to artists and fans, including Ohana Festival and BeachLife, as well as Lollapalooza, Sea.Hear.Now, and Austin City Limits. Check out the 2019 case study documenting how Strawberry Fields Festival in Australia is moving toward zero waste.
- BYOBottle business partner r.Cup has been working to help the live events industry reopen with reuse, rolling out a SMART Cup System to tackle the 4+ billion single-use cups used at live events each year. To help in your own reusable product research, check out the newly updated BYOBottle Reusable Vendor List or explore the UPSTREAM Reuse Business Directory.
- BYOBottle was featured as part of A Greener Scene – an online sustainability series hosted by Green Music Australia, and REVERB recently launched Music Climate Revolution to empower the music industry to take action for climate. UPSTREAM is taking nominations for “the reusies” – awards to honor standouts in the reuse movement including innovative reuse companies, impactful leadership, and activist of the year.
- Algalita, Plastic Pollution Coalition and many plastic-free partners are spreading awareness about the Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act, which outlines plastic reduction strategies for a healthier, more equitable future. Plastic is an environmental justice issue disproportionately affecting people of color and low-income communities by polluting the air, water, and soil. This bill represents the most comprehensive set of policy solutions to plastic pollution ever introduced in the US.
- BYOBottle partners are working to innovate and share best practices around safety of reusables, and promote Reopen with Reuse campaigns. Check out Surfriderʻs Bringing Back Reusables blog and join the Reopen with Reuse virtual rally on July 1st. Learn more about COVID-19 reuse safety from r.Cup, or explore Oceanic Globalʻs COVID-19 Plastic Free Reopening Guidelines for Live Events.
➤ BYOBottle Suggested Post: Plastic Free July
Sample Social Media Post: We support #BYOBottle to help turn the tide on plastic pollution in the music industry. This @PlasticFreeJuly we are rocking our reusable water bottles to reduce plastic waste! #PlasticFreeJuly
➤ BYOBottle Features:
💧Featured Campaign: Plastic Free July
💧Featured Event: Reopen with Reuse Rally July 1st
💧Featured Resource: BYOBottle Reusable Vendor List
💧Featured Case Study: Rewash Revolution: Zero Waste with Strawberry Fields
💧Featured Report: UPSTREAM Report: Reuse Wins
💧Featured Video: BYOBottle Artist Tavana – Plastic Island ft Paul Izak
Music Video: BYOBottle Artist Tavana – Plastic Island featuring Paul Izak. This incredible stop motion video features unaltered plastic pieces collected from beaches in Hawaii to bring attention to the global issue of plastic pollution.
➤ Are you innovating? Are you working to address safety at live events by creating touchless or contactless refill options? Please reach out and share so we can highlight your reuse and refill innovations! Send updates and photos to email@example.com and we will aim to feature your BYOBottle efforts on our socials and in future promotion & newsletters!